General tips - Adapting evaluation methods - Tools at your disposal - Library and Resources
Advice and proposals from the working group led by Patrice Laisney (Inspé)
Valérie Campillo (FS), Anne Demeester (Inspé), Sandrine Eschenauer (Inspé), Laurence Espinassy (Inspé) and ICSB
This page has been created in the context of COVID, to propose remote evaluation transpositions.
Recommendations for online assessments to be customized : for teachers - for students
Precautions and principles :
- Ensure equity among students.
- Look for simplicity of implementation for you and for students
- Adapt your expectations to this emergency and exceptional situation. Don't ask students to do too much work, or too complex, or too long to correct.
- Be precise about the instructions (evaluation criteria, deadlines or time limit for awarding the contract, methods of delivery).
- Use a rubric to align your instructional goals and assessment, and to speed up the reading of assignments.
- Consider grouping evaluations with other modules/subjects/EU
- Avoid over- or under-evaluating a knowledge or skill
- Limit the opportunities for fraud (or accept the risk), and then let go (you can't control everything when you're there either).
- You may want to take this opportunity to rethink your evaluation procedures over the longer term.
Choose the right tools:
- Favour institutional technological tools as much as possible.
- Use AMeTICE for time-limited evaluations and/or for large numbers of students.
- Choose evaluation and rendering modalities that require little technology or technical skills
- Anticipate possible technical problems and the fact that a student may be unable to hand in his or her paper (alternative method of handing in the paper, substitute test, etc.).
- Some technical problems may arise on the day of the test; it is therefore necessary to provide an evaluation solution in another form for some students (oral telephone, webconference...).
- It is important to test the chosen method beforehand, with all the students, outside the evaluation conditions.
Suggestions for adapting the evaluation methods
Selected Answer Questions (on sheet) :
Test activity on WARNING: set by default for an online test
|Written tabletop exam with|
|Course Questions||To be avoided or considered in the form of selected answer questions of the activity type Test|
Exercises to be done with explanatory reasoning
Briefing notes from a folder
Homework activity on AMeTICE, with setting of the date and duration of access to the subject and to the deposit area.
Out of AMeTICE :
|Practice Assessment (PA)|
|TP noted with necessary instruments :
SV, chemistry, physics, mechanics, ...
|Simulation by :
|Individual oral, without presentation material :
face-to-face interview with the teacher or in front of a jury
Alternative modality :
|Individual oral with visual presentation (slide show or other) - in front of a jury (memory defence type)||Ideal modality:
Alternative modality :
|Group oral with visual presentation
slide show or other type of presentation
Alternative modality :
To go further: download this document.
Other tools at your disposal
In addition to homework and tests, AMeTICE allows other activities to be used to assess students. All activities offered by AMeTICE are evaluable. Some examples are
- The Forum activity
It can be used to give students a grade for participation. Forum evaluations are recorded in the gradebook.
- The Database activity
It allows the teacher to fill in forms that have been formatted beforehand.
- The Glossary activity
You can ask the students to define terms, but you can also ask them to translate terms or record content.
Wooclap can be used either as an activity in AMeTICE or from the Wooclap.com site which allows live testing.
Webinar: How to make a course interactive with Wooclap?
ENT Login - FAQ - User Guide -
Library and Resources
Pages consulted on 02 April 2020
Centre for Pedagogical Innovation and Evaluation (CIPE)
Training in university pedagogy and digital tools
Events (Conferences, colloquiums, ...) - ICSB's appointments (Café'CIPE, Express'o CIPE)
Support for pedagogical continuity
FAQ - Teaching aids
To go further on evaluation: download this document and watch this webinar on Canal-U
On AMeTICE: Getting Started with AMeTICE - Homework Help - Evaluate your students with a Test - What is efoliAM? - Instructional Video Design
On AMUPOD: AMUpod Help - AMUpod Help - MiscellaneousHelp
On Support: Creating a virtual classroom on AMUConnect - Creating a virtual classroom on Skype - AMUZoom - Using the COMPILATIO anti-plagiarism system (similarity detection, etc.) - Using the COMPILATIO anti-plagiarism system (similarity detection, etc.)
🔎 Support :
- primarily in creating a ticket via ENT
- Request for training
- Virtual classroom
- Educational audiovisual
- by coming to meet us on various campuses
- by contacting one of the staff members