University degree course in French (DU-LCF), full-time semester courses
Presentation of the University Diploma of French Language and Culture (DU LCF)
The DU LCF is a full-time program. It takes place over one semester and leads to the University Diploma of French Language and Culture.
This diploma course at Aix-Marseille Université is intended for all non-French speaking adults, from complete beginners to experienced users, who hold a high school diploma (diploma giving access to university) or any higher education diploma.
1. Description of the DU LCF
Training leading to a diploma: University Diploma in French Language and Culture
- From A1 to B2+/C1 (CEFR* levels)
- 30 ECTS credits (European credits) per semester
- 18 or 20** hours of classes per week (language classes and thematic workshops, see table below)
- 18-20 students per class with groups adapted to the level (initial placement test)
- Attendance is mandatory
* For more information on language levels, see the downloadable file (opposite) "SUL_Référentiel des niveaux de langue A1 à C1".
** Students who need 20 hours per week for their course have the possibility to register for an additional workshop
The DU LCF courses take place on the Schuman campus (Aix-en-Provence) in a face-to-face setting.
|French language levels||Language courses||Phonetics||Thematic workshops
|Beginners - Level 0
|14h30||1h30||2h (1 workshop)|
Objectives A2 and B1
|12h30||1h30||4h (2 workshops)|
|13h||5h (1 workshop of 2h and 1 workshop of 3h)|
|Advanced intermediate level Objective B2||10h||8h (1 workshop of 2h and 2 workshops of 3h)|
Objectives B2+ and C1
|10h||8h (1 workshop of 2h and 2 workshops of 3h)|
The course is assessed under the full continuous assessment system.
For more details, please consult the study regulations ("règlement des études") in the documents to download.
IMPORTANT: In accordance with the law, only one copy of transcripts and diplomas can be issued. No duplicates will be provided. Furthermore, the final grades will only be available after the jury has deliberated (a certificate of attendance may be issued while waiting for the transcript).
2. Registration procedures
To register, please respect the following steps:
- Download the registration form where the necessary supporting documents are indicated.
- Pay a deposit of 300 euros for pre-registration (non-refundable) by bank transfer, check or credit card (see bank details in the documents to download on the right of this page)
- Send the documents and payment (or proof of transfer) by email (indicated on the form) or directly to the SUL-Aix Schuman student office
- Take the MANDATORY online written placement test, sent by the SUL school office after pre-registration
- Take the MANDATORY oral placement test (by videoconference with a SUL teacher)
- Finalization of registration: during orientation week
Provide the missing documents (indicated on the registration form) and pay the remaining registration fees
- Participate in the orientation week organized by the SUL the week before the beginning of classes of each semester
- Consult your level group and your class (a few days before the beginning of the courses online or on site) and choose the workshop(s) corresponding to the level indicated (See the news page of the courses of each semester to know the procedure)
Attention : Be sure to respect the number of workshops to choose according to the level (A1, A2, etc.).
3. Calendar 2023/2024
- SEMESTER 1
- LANGUAGE COURSES: from September 11th to December 15th, 2023
- Pre-registration: April 1st to June 15th, 2023
- Registration deadline: September 8th, 2023
- Orientation week: September 4th-8th, 2023
- Week off (no classes): October 30th to November 3rd, 2023
- SEMESTER 2
- LANGUAGE COURSE: January 22nd to April 26th, 2024
- Pre-registration: October 1st to Novembre 13th, 2023
- Registration deadline: January 19th, 2024
- Orientation week: January 15th-19th, 2024
- Week off (no classes): March 4th-8th, 2024
All the practical information about the 1st or 2nd semester is to be found on the page News of the DU courses courses (list of students, schedule, etc.).
CAUTION: Schedules are subject to change, check rooms and times regularly.
5. Fees 2023/2024
- One semester: 1650 € (groups*: 1450 €)
- Academic year: 2800 € (groups*: 2500 €)
- Additional workshop per semester: 170 € (2h workshop) and 255 € (3h workshop)
* Group rates: Reduced rates for organizations (universities, agencies, companies...) registering 10 people or more. Please contact us beforehand (see email address in the registration form).
6. Exemption device
6.1. Exemption on file (reserved for asylum seekers or refugees)
Asylum seekers/refugees can benefit from an exemption from registration fees, as an exception, within the limit of 10% of the number of students per semester (i.e. about thirty places) after having submitted a file which will be examined by an evaluation committee.
The Asylum seekers / Refugees file is available in the documents to download.
ATTENTION: only one session per year for the submission of applications is organized.
- Session 2023/2024: Applications must be submitted between April 5th and June 5th, 2023.
You can also consult this page of useful information for refugee students (useful addresses and sites, housing, courses, etc...): https://padlet.com/Khatmars/hh0akvd3r10m
6.2. Specific provisions for students displaced from Ukraine
In the context of the conflict that broke out between Russia and Ukraine in February 2022, Aix-Marseille University renews its support for displaced students from Ukraine by opening a dedicated admission pathway to the university.
All the information on these specific provisions is detailed on the page "Displaced students from Ukraine - Applications for the 23/24 academic year"
6.3. Other exemption provisions
Lebanese refugees are also granted a full waiver of university fees for the 2023/2024 academic year.
SUL - Pôle FLE (Aix - Schuman site)
29, avenue Robert Schuman
13621 Aix-en-Provence cedex 1
- Reception / student office 2.13(2nd floor)
Tel. +33 (0)4 13 55 32 14 or 04 13 94 62 21
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-4:30pm
Contact form (heading "Annual/semester courses FLE (DU)")
Access map(how to come)