Health-related procedures

Health-related formalities are essential and must be anticipated. Depending on your nationality, you may need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card, or join the French Social Security system once you arrive in France.

Procedure for European students - EHIC

Students who are nationals of a country in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland can obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This means they don't need to register with the French social security system.

Procedure for non-European students - CPAM

As a non-European international student, you must register with the French social security system. Affiliation is free and compulsory . It ensures that your healthcare costs are covered for the duration of your studies. It must be done as soon as you arrive in France, following your administrative registration at the university.

To join the French social security system and have your healthcare costs covered, you need to subscribe to the Assurance Maladie's general health insurance scheme (Régime Général de l'Assurance Maladie ) by following the steps below:

  1. Register on the site dedicated to international students as soon as your administrative registration at AMU has been finalized;
  2. Submit the required supporting documents;
  3. Create a personal account on the website, and within a few days you'll receive a provisional social security number and your carte vitale;
  4. Declare an attending physician at the time of your first consultation (this will allow you to be reimbursed for your healthcare expenses).
  5. To optimize your health reimbursements, take out supplementary health insurance (or mutuelle).

Supplementary health insurance (mutuelles)

Social security will reimburse around 60% of your healthcare costs. In order to be reimbursed for the remaining 40%, you can take out complementary health insurance, usually called a mutuelle.

This is not compulsory, but strongly recommended. Aix-Marseille University is a partner of the HEYME mutual insurance company.
As an AMU student, you can benefit from a 10% discount by entering the following partner code: 13AMU.

A word of advice : make sure that the mutuelle you choose includes civil liability insurance valid for your private and student life. This will ensure that you are covered at your place of study and internship for all everyday accidents.

Inter-university preventive medicine and health promotion service

The university also has its own student health service: the SSE. Here, students have free access to general practitioners, nurses, psychologists, a relaxation therapist and, depending on availability, student trainees in odontology (dentistry). Please note that the service does not issue prescriptions.

For more information, visit the SSE page.