The International Student Welcome team has listed all the questions you might have about social aid for studying at Aix-Marseille Université:

What social aid can I request from the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF)?

The Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) offers several types of financial aid for housing, the APL (Aide Personnalisée au Logement) being the most commonly requested by students. We advise you to apply as soon as you arrive in France, even if you do not have all the required documents. You will be able to send them later.

The Aide Personnalisée au Logement (APL) is a financial aid intended to reduce the amount of your rent. It is paid because of your housing situation, regardless of your family situation: single, married, with or without dependents. The conditions of attribution differ depending on whether you are renting or living in a hostel.

Can I benefit from the CAF's social aid ?

Online simulator : You can estimate the amount of your housing benefit thanks to the online simulator available on the CAF website.

How do I apply for CAF housing assistance ?

You can apply directly online on the CAF website by creating your personal space.

To build your file you will need the following supporting documents:

  • Email address
  • Rental contract
  • Income for the last 2 years
  • Parents' benefit number, if applicable
  • Contact details of the lessor, the amount of rent, the Siret number if the lessor is a company

In order to help you in the realization of the request for housing assistance on the site of the CAF, here is a tuto to help you:

Tuto apply for housing subsidies
For more information, consult the CAF FAQ

How is my housing assistance calculated ?

You are considered a student if you are less than 28 years old on September 1st of the current year and if you are still studying.

The personal housing assistance is calculated based on several elements:

  • Your family situation, the number of dependents,
  • The nature and location of the accommodation you occupy,
  • The amount of rent,
  • The amount of rent, and a minimum income,
  • Your scholarship status.

If you are a scholarship holder, don't forget to declare it to your CAF directly via your "Espace Mon Compte" or on the mobile application CAF - Mon Compte.

What are the payment deadlines for housing assistance?

Your entitlement to personal housing assistance begins the month after you move in.

The amount of the aid will then be deducted from the amount of your rent. In some cases, assistance may be paid directly to the tenant.

What kind of government assistance can I receive?

The government has listed all the aid available to students directly online, click on the government website to find out about all the aid.

Is there any help to finance my security deposit ?

The Loca-pass advance from Action Logement is a zero-interest loan intended to cover all or part of the security deposit required by the owner when the tenant moves in. It is granted for the tenant's main residence. This loan is to be reimbursed without loan interest or file fees. To benefit from it, you must be under 30 years old.
Test your eligibility for LOCA-PASS assistance online.

I am on a work-study program. Is there any assistance available to finance part of my rent ?

The Mobili-Jeunes aid from Action Logement is reserved for students under 30 years of age who are on work-study programs and allows them to pay part of their rent. This aid can amount to a maximum of 110€ each month for 1 year.
Test your eligibility for Mobili-Jeunes directly on the Action Logement website.

I am in financial difficulty, who can I turn to?

The CROUS Aix-Marseille-Avignon social workers help improve your living conditions. Make an appointment to find out about solutions adapted to your situation.
The General Council has set up a Housing Solidarity Fund. This service helps people in difficulty to access housing or to stay in their home, if they are unable to meet their obligations regarding the payment of rent, utilities and rental insurance as well as water and energy supplies.
Consult the website ofEscale Marseille Etudiants. The volunteers of this association welcome and support students in difficulty.

What should be done to avoid the suspension of my aid?

You must declare any changes in your life to the CAF immediately.

Be sure to correct any typing errors, inaccuracies in the file, mistakes made...

  • personal/work life mistake = "Declare a change"
  • personal resources mistake = "Contact my Caf" + "Send an email"

What should I do if I change my housing?

    You have to apply again with the new address in the "Simulate or apply for a service" section

Bandeau helpdesk en anglais

Back to the questions menu

Contact information
Social aids
international students
Welcome to France