Steps to take before you leave

tuile programmes echanges partir

Have you been selected for a mobility program abroad?
Before setting off on a mobility program outside France, it's important to prepare your stay and find out all you can about your destination.

Make sure you have a valid passport and identity card.

For stays in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey and Switzerland, a valid identity card or passport is sufficient .
For other destinations, a passport valid for 6 months after the end of your stay, and a student visa, are required. Contact the embassy and/or consulate of the foreign country in France to request one.

Other documents may be required, so find out more beforehand!
In Quebec, for example, it's advisable to obtain a study permit, even if your mobility is for six months or less, and the Certificat d'Acceptation du Québec.

Finding accommodation

Except in the case of a specific exchange agreement between AMU and the student's host university, it is the student's responsibility to find local accommodation.
It is strongly recommended that you do this as early as possible, before you leave on your international exchange. Some destinations tend to become overcrowded very quickly, and booking accommodation at the last minute can entail considerable costs.

Register on the Ariane website and on the register of French nationals living outside France

Before you leave, and for your own safety, we recommend that you register on the Ariane website website, which enables you to register easily and free of charge with the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs. Once you've registered, you'll be able to

  • Receive safety recommendations by e-mail or SMS if the situation in the country warrants it
  • Be contacted in the event of a crisis in your destination country (your designated contact person can also be alerted if necessary).

For stays longer than 6 monthswe advise you to register with the register of French nationals living outside France and apply for a consular card. This step is free, voluntary and not compulsory, and may prove useful (for example, to obtain a passport renewal, or in the event of the implementation of a security plan in the country).
Only by registering can the consular post be aware of your presence in the country. Don't forget to bring your identity card, proof of French nationality and a certificate of residence in the consular district with you when you register.

Make sure you're covered for medical expenses

If you're going to Switzerland or any other member state of the European Economic Area (EEA), you'll need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC ) to ensure that your medical expenses are covered. You can request it online from theAméli website.

If you are leaving outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland , you must have valid medical insurance cover in the country where you will be staying. Some universities offer social security coverage on advantageous terms. You can also contact your student mutual insurance company to arrange suitable health cover.
. If you need medical care during your stay, you'll have to pay for it locally. Remember to keep all invoices and proof of payment, and present them to your mutuelle étudiante when you return to France. They may be able to reimburse you according to the terms of your insurance contract.

Good to know: French nationals studying in Quebec are eligible for Quebec health and hospitalization insurance benefits, under the same conditions as Quebec students. Before leaving, students must request and have their university complete form SE 401-Q-106 for studies and form SE 401-Q-104 for unpaid internships. This will enable them to register with the Régie de l'assurance maladie in Quebec upon arrival.


Before you leave, we advise you to check the need for vaccinations and advice on the state of hygiene in your host country on the government website.
It's also a good time to check that your vaccination records are up to date.

Take out additional insurance

Before you leave, check the validity of your civil liability insurance for the host country, and take out additional coverage if necessary, particularly for medical repatriation. Don't forget that if you choose the HEYME mutual insurance company, you can benefit from a 10% discount by entering the following partner code: 13AMU, thanks to our partnership with Aix-Marseille University.

If you're traveling by car, remember to take out an insurance extension for transit countries and the host country, and make sure your vehicle is equipped in accordance with current regulations (safety vest, warning triangle, fire extinguisher, breathalyser, etc.).

Contact information
International mobility
Preparing your departure