Taking an internship abroad

Stage à l'étranger

You have to do an internship as part of your course at AMU: what if you dare to go abroad?
Internships abroad have their own particularities and require longer formalities than internships in France.
Student interns must take this into account when preparing their internship.
The SUIO and the International Relations Department will guide you through the process and inform you of the existing procedures.

Choosing an internship abroad

Students at Aix-Marseille University have the possibility of doing several types of internships during their studies in order to validate part of their course and/or acquire professional skills and thus enhance their CV. These internships can be carried out in university laboratories, companies or organizations in France and abroad.

Aix-Marseille University has signed an agreement with the Canadian agency MITACS to finance research internships in Canada.
MITACS supports research and training programs in Canada, in collaboration with 70 Canadian universities, 6,000 companies and the Canadian government.
For more information on the scholarships available through this agreement, please visit our MITACS page

If you are interested in doing an internship abroad and would like to know more about the administrative procedures to follow, contact the International Relations Department or the International Relations Service of the University.

Terms and conditions for internships abroad

Internship agreement

As for all internships, you must fill out an internship agreement available on the SUIO website. (via IPRO)

In the case of an internship abroad, it is imperative for the future intern to declare himself/herself to the DRI via the Moveon mobility portal by completing the Outgoing Internship Form. Once the internship has been declared and validated by the mobility manager, the Form Constitution du dossier will allow the intern to put together a mobility file and apply for a grant.

A request for a Security and Defense Official opinion may be required depending on the chosen destination. The request will be made directly by the mobility manager at the DRI Campus /SRI or by the school administrator.


Students who do an internship abroad must be vigilant about their work accident and illness coverage, as well as insurance conditions.
They should also check with their social security center (at least two weeks before their departure) to find out about their health coverage.

In general, the documents required before the departure of the internship are

  • A European health insurance card (if mobility is planned in Europe)
  • Repatriation insurance in case of accident, illness or cancellation
  • Personal accident insurance
  • Civil liability insurance (with a high limit for destinations such as the USA)

Certificate of arrival and return

Upon arrival in the host country, the student must upload his or her certificate of attendance in the "Arrival" form. He/she must do the same upon his/her return by uploading his/her certificate of attendance "return" section in the "return" form.

Financing your internship abroad

You can obtain a mobility grant to partially finance your internship abroad: consult our page"Mobility grants".

The International Relations Department and the International Relations Departments of the different departments can help you with all the steps to take for most funding requests.
Contact the DRI.

Mobility assistance
Internship agreement