Consular Procedures

Depending on your country of origin and the program you will join at AMU, you may need to complete certain consular procedures.

Students from outside the European Union

or from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or from outside Switzerland

1. Before you leave: make sure you have a valid passport and apply for a visa.

Long in advance, you must make sure to obtain the necessary permits for your stay in France.
You must have a valid passport and apply:

  • for stays from 4 to 12 months: for a student labelled Long Stay Visa, equivalent to a Residence Permit (VLS-TS).
  • for a stay of less than 3 months: a short-stay visa

Do remember that your admission on French soil and your subsequent stay depend on obtaining your visa beforehand.

Whatever the length of stay you are considering, the long-stay visa has a limited duration (between 4 months and one year).You must therefore apply for a residence permit at the prefecture or sub-prefecture to pursue your stay beyond the validity period of your visa.

Students under the Etudes en France (EeF) procedure

If you live in one of the 42 countries listed here-below, you must go through the "Etudes en France" procedure to establish your online registration and obtain your visa.

Countries under Etudes en France procedure
Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Peru, Russia, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Vietnam, Syria: contact Espaces Liban or Jordan.

When connecting to the Etudes en France (EeF) platform, if you fit one of the following three situations, click on the "I am accepted" tab:

  • student accepted into an exchange program
  • student accepted by an institution not listed on the application
  • candidate who has received one or more EeF electronic acceptances for the last stage of their application (preparation of the visa application)

then follow the online instructions.

Students not covered by the Études en France procedure

To obtain your visa, you must contact the French embassy or consulate in your country of origin. Find out more on the France Visa website.


2. Upon arrival in France: validation of the visa and acquisition of the residence permit.

There are two main types of study visas. You will be issued the one that corresponds to the duration and reason for your stay/establishing in France.

  • The Long Stay Visa, equivalent to a Residence permit (VLS-TS), specific to stays of anywhere between 4 and 12 months. The holder must validate its visa online upon arrival. To do so, proceed to the website of the French Ministry of the Interior.
  • The long-stay visa bearing the following specification : "residence permit to be requested within 2 months of arrival". Its holder must report to the Prefecture within 2 months, in order to obtain a residence permit.

Visa VALIDATION procedures at AMU’s Welcome Desk for International Students in connection with the sub-prefecture (based in Aix-en-Provence) or the Prefecture (located in  Marseille), depending on your place of study:


The Prefecture of Marseille will hold a stand on AMU's Marseille Saint Charles campus up to mid-November.
Campus MARSEILLE, Site Saint Charles, 3 Place Victor Hugo


Sub-Prefecture of Aix-en-Provence, Service des Étrangers (Foreigners' Service)
455 venue Pierre Brossolette, 13617 Aix-en-Provence

Appointment bookings are possible between July and October online, then the rest of the year, by going directly to the sub-prefecture: reception without appointment, every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.30am to 12.15pm.

Be careful not to make a mistake about the duration of your stay
since the "student" visa CANNOT be changed.
If you make a mistake, you must go back to your home country and apply for a visa all over again. It would be impossible to regularize your situation in France.


3. Renewing your residence permit

Where to apply

The renewal of residence permits must be undertaken from:

  • Marseille
    The Prefecture of Marseille will hold a stand on AMU's Marseille Saint Charles campus up to mid-November.
    Campus MARSEILLE, Site Saint Charles, 3 Place Victor Hugo
  • Aix-en-Provence
    Sub-Prefecture of Aix-en-Provence, Service des Étrangers
    455 venue Pierre Brossolette, 13617 Aix-en-Provence


The request for renewal of the residence permit must be made 2 months before its expiry date.

What to do if you change your address

Any change of address must be reported within 8 days to the sub-prefecture or the prefecture.

What to do in case of loss or theft

In case of a loss of official papers, you must go to the nearest Prefecture ; in case of theft at the police station to make a declaration of loss or theft. Then contact the embassy / consulate of your country of origin to obtain a new passport.

Students from the European Union

or the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

No specific consular process is required. However, you must have an ID card (or passport) valid for the entire duration of your stay.

international students
consular procedures
residence permit
international mobility