The European Label is known as the "European Doctorate" or "Doctor Europeaus" and adds to the doctoral diploma the recognition of a European dimension and promotes the valorization of doctoral training at the international level.
- Having regard to the principles established by the Liaison Committee of the Conferences of Rectors and Presidents of Universities of the Member States of the European Community in 1991
- Having regard to the order of May 25, 2016 setting the national training framework and the modalities for the issuance of the national doctoral diploma.
The European doctorate label is issued to students from member countries of the European Community and other free trade states (Austria, Switzerland, Iceland, Sweden, Lichtenstein). This label was instituted in 1991 by the Liaison Committee of the Conferences of Rectors and Presidents of Universities of the member countries of the European Community.
The European doctorate is a "label" awarded in addition to the doctorate. It adds the recognition of a European dimension and promotes the valorization of doctoral training at the international level. The following 4 conditions must be met:
- The doctorate must have been prepared in part during a stay of at least one quarter in another European state.
- The authorization to defend the doctoral thesis is granted on the basis of reports written by at least two professors or equivalent belonging to institutions of higher education in two European states. The rapporteurs may not belong to the institution where the doctorate is defended.
- At least one member of the jury must belong to a higher education institution of a European state other than the one in which the doctorate is defended.
- Part of the defence must be conducted in a European national language other than the national language(s) of the country in which the doctorate is defended.
The request must be made at the same time as the request for authorization to defend the thesis. It is the thesis jury that will evaluate whether the conditions for the award are met. All the documents required to apply for the European Doctorate label are in the ADUM space of the doctoral student.