Message of support from Aix-Marseille University
Dear colleagues, dear students,
It is with amazement and immense sadness that we learned on February 24 of this year of the beginning of Russian military operations in Ukraine. These acts of rare atrocity, now at the gates of Europe, leave us with moments of doubt, upheaval and fear for some members of our community. This war is already shaking our consciences, our habits and our certainties.
Aix-Marseille University, through its European alliance CIVIS, was one of the first universities to send a message of solidarity to the Ukrainian people.
Today, I would like to express again my support, not only to the Ukrainian people as a whole, and in so doing, to the students, teachers and researchers of Ukraine, but also to the Russian students and scientists who courageously braved the ban on demonstrations in Russia to express their refusal of this war and who fear today for their future.
Know that Aix-Marseille University is, and will remain, your university home, whatever your nationality. We are therefore taking our responsibilities in the face of this conflict which is impacting our community, by welcoming refugee students and scientists.
Aix-Marseille University is deploying concrete actions on the logistical, financial and psychological levels, to help the Ukrainian and Russian refugees, colleagues and students affected by the tragic events we are currently experiencing:
- Donations from our collections in partnership with the City of Marseille to Ukraine,
- Financial and food aid for Ukrainian and Russian students,
- Psychological support for our Ukrainian and Russian students faced with the uncertainty of the situation and the destabilizing "fake news",
- Accommodation solutions in relation with the CROUS and the cities,
- A more flexible registration process for refugee students in our departments,
- Reception solutions, via national programs for refugee researchers and artists,
- The possibility of mobilizing doctoral contracts "Presidents" to encourage the arrival of refugee students.
These actions are only the urgent contribution that a great research university like Aix-Marseille University must make and you can be assured that we will continue to mobilize in the long term.
In this period of great suffering, I call upon the solidarity that our institution has always shown. I would like to thank all the colleagues and students who have offered to help us in our actions. We need them.
This unfortunate context reminds us once again of the importance of living together and of our social commitment. Our support and our thoughts turn today to all the people who are suffering from this war.
President of Aix-Marseille University