The ICI Summer School, edition 2021 all in English, is designed for international PhD and Master’s students in life sciences, medicine, and computer science who are seeking to further their knowledge and skills in immuno-oncology research using the latest analytical methods. The Summer School will present recent technological breakthroughs that unravel the complexities of biological systems at the single-cell level, opening an avenue for the understanding of tumor and immune cell heterogeneity and next generation discovery of biomarkers and therapeutic targets.
April 15, 2021
All in English
First Institut Cancer et Immunologie Summer School in immuno-oncology.
A program of excellence led by internationally renowned speakers
Single Cell Approaches in Tumor and Immune Cell Heterogeneity
July 5-9, 2021- Luminy campus (Marseille, France)
The program is organized in five modules:
- A general introductory module that will familiarize participants with the latest concepts on the evolution of cancer in space and time, and the constraints that the local immune environment places on an evolving tumor.
- A single-cell sequencing module that will present the theory of high throughput single-cell technologies for transcriptomic profiling of cells, and their applications in immuno-oncology research.
- A cytometry module that will allow students to become familiar with mass, flow and spectral cytometry techniques for high dimensional examination of the immune system in tumor tissues.
- A spatially resolved single-cell analysis module that will cover the emerging cutting-edge technologies that add spatial resolution to single-cell signatures, and high resolution single-cell imaging methods that enables to see how cells interact and function at the level of tumor tissues and the whole organisms.
- A medical applications module that will present how single-cell technologies are applied in clinical practice, for diagnosis and treatment, and in industry for the discovery of new cancer treatment with immunotherapy.
- Hands-on workshops will be held in small groups (2-3 people) to introduce students to the analysis of single-cell RNA-seq data.
- Throughout the week, enrolled students will actively participate in poster and paper presentations, and roundtable discussions where their questions and ideas will be discussed with the keynote speakers and local and visiting professors.
3. Useful information
- The summer school will welcome 40 CIVIS students face-to-face (number may vary according to sanitary regulations) and it is also open to the entire scientific community via videoconferencing.
- Applicants should have some experience in oncology and immunology.
- Each student should bring a laptop.
- Our summer school is designed for international PhD and Master’s students in life sciences, medicine, and computer science who are seeking to further their knowledge and skills in immuno-oncology research using the latest analytical methods.
4. Registration and Scholarship
Registration - Application Deadline: April 15, 2021
The registration fees cover tuition, lodging, meals and social events but do not cover travel expenses.
- Registration fees for either CIVIS or local students: 75 €
- Registration fees for non-CIVIS and external students: 380 €
Candidates need to provide the following information as part of their application:
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Motivation letter (1 page) explaining your research interests and why you would like to attend the school,
- Transcripts indicating the grades received and the ranking for the academic year 2019-2020 (NOT required for PhD students).
These documents need to be uploaded into the application form below.
Scholarship - Application Deadline: April 15, 2021
ICI offers four 400 € travel and accommodations Conference Scholarships for master and PhD students with the CIVIS alliance. Awards are based on merit, the appropriateness of the educational opportunity in relation to applicants’ field of study and contributions to their community.
The documents uploaded to the registration form will be evaluated by the organizing committee.
The travel grants can be used for all travel expenses including airfare, ground transportation, hotel, and food. The grant does not cover conference registration.
To apply, check the box in the registration form.
5. CIVIS Partners
CIVIS is a European Civic University formed by the alliance of nine leading research higher education institutions across Europe: Aix-Marseille Université, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Universitatea din București, Université libre de Bruxelles, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Sapienza Università di Roma, Stockholm University and Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen and the University of Glasgow.
It brings together a community of more than 384,000 students and 55,000 staff members including 30,000 academics and researchers.
The first ICI CIVIS Summer School 2021, sponsored by the Aix-Marseille University partners with:
- The Sapienza Università di Roma (Rome, Italia)
- The Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
- The Université Libre de Bruxelles (Brussels, Belgium)
- The University of Bucharest (Bucharest, Romania)
6. Housing and Dining
- Housing will be provided to non-local attendees at the Crous on the Luminy Campus site (see "guide des résidents").
- Dining will be provided by the Crous.
8. Organizing Committee
Fanny Mann, Chair (IBDM), Marie-dominique Franco (AMU-ICI), Aitor Gonzalez (TAGC), Cédric Maurange (IBDM), Pierre Milpied (CIML), Philippe Naquet (CIML), Sandrine Roulland (CIML) and Cécile Vicier (CRCM-IPC), Stéphanie Bernard, admistritrative support (CRCM-IPC).
ICI Summer School courses will take place on the Luminy Campus, at the Hexagone.
163 Avenue de Luminy - case 901 - 13009 Marseille
Tél : +33(0)4 13 94 19 00
INTERNATIONAL KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Theodore Alexandrov EMBL, Germany
- Ido Amit Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Philippe Bousso Institut Pasteur, France
- Horia Bumbea UMFCD, Romania
- Sabrina Carpentier Innate Pharma, France
- Régis Costello AP‐HM, France
- Vincent Detours ULB, Belgium
- Ali Ertürk iTERM Helmholtz, Germany
- Jude Fitzgibbon Cancer Research, Barts Centre, UK
- Jérôme Galon CRC, France
- Toby Lawrence CIML, France - KCL, UK
- Fatima Mechta-Grigoriou Institut Curie, France
- Miriam Merad Icahn Mount Sinai NY, USA
- Anne Rios Princess Maxima Center, The Netherlands
- Mikaël Roussel MICMAC, France
- Laurence Zitvogel Institut Gustave Roussy, France
courriel : firstname.lastname@example.org