Consular procedures

Depending on your country of origin and the program you will be taking at AMU, you may need to complete certain consular procedures.

Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, information on consular procedures changes regularly.
Here we try to give you the latest information available.

Instructions on external borders and rules for international students or researchers


Although the health situation linked to COVID-19 makes cross-border travel more difficult, Aix-Marseille University remains open to international students and researchers. The conditions and procedures for joining the French territory vary according to the country of origin.

IMPORTANT: to date, students from countries classified in ZONE 3 / RED ZONE are not allowed to enter France.

>>> Consult the Ministry of the Interior website to keep up to date with the latest government directives concerning travel to France from abroad <<<

* * *

Students from the European Union

or the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

Students who are nationals of a European Union or European Economic Area (EEA) country and Switzerland have no particular consular procedure to carry out. However, they must have an identity card (or passport) valid for the entire duration of their stay.

Students from outside the European Union

or outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

  1. Apply for a visa before leaving
  2. Validate your visa on arrival
  3. Renewing your residence permit

1. Before leaving: make sure you have a valid passport and that you have applied for a visa

You must take the first steps to obtain the necessary authorizations for your stay in France well in advance.

  • For a stay of less than 3 months you must apply for a short stay visa.
  • For a stay of 4 to 12 months, you must apply for a Long Stay Visa (VLS-TS) mentioning "student".
    Whatever the duration of your stay, the long stay visa has a limited duration of between 4 months and one year. You must apply for a residence permit at the prefecture or sub-prefecture to continue your stay beyond the validity of the visa.

Remember that your stay will only be possible with a valid passport and after you have obtained your visa.

If you live in one of the 60 countries listed below, you must go through the "Study in France" procedure to apply online and obtain your visa.

Countries with a " Study in France"procedure
Algeria, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Haiti, India, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, USA, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Niger, Nigeria, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Vietnam. Syria (contact the Lebanon or Jordan areas).

When connecting to the Etudes en France (EeF) platform, if you are in one of the three following situations, click on the tab " I have been accepted " and then follow the online instructions:

  • student accepted in an exchange program
  • student accepted by an institution not present on the application
  • Applicants who have received one or more EeF electronic acceptances for the last step of their application (preparation of the visa application)

If you are not part of the Study in France procedure, you can obtain your visa by contacting the French embassy or consulate in your country of origin. Find out more on the France Visawebsite.

2. Upon arrival in France: validation of the visa or obtaining a residence permit

What steps to take?

There are two main types of study visas. You will be issued the one that corresponds to the duration and the reason for your stay/settlement in France.

2.1 The Long Stay Visa with Residence Permit (VLS-TS), for a stay of between 4 and 12 months. The holder must validate his or her visa online upon arrival on the Ministry of the Interior website.

2.2 The long-stay visa bearing the mention "residence permit to be applied for within 2 months of arrival". The holder must go to the Prefecture within two months in order to obtain a residence permit.

For the first applications for visa validation and for obtaining a residence permit, the procedures are to be carried out online on the website of the Ministry of the Interior.

This online procedure can be accessed from several connection methods (smartphone, tablet, computer). It helps users throughout the application process and keeps them informed of the progress of their application. Finally, it reduces the number of trips to the prefecture/sub-prefecture since students will only go there to receive their residence permit.

Which students are concerned by this online procedure?

  • Students holding a VLS-TS student or VLS-TS student mobility permit
  • Algerian national with a VLS-TS Student
  • Student holder of a VLS student mobility
  • Young adult holder of a VLS-T minor in education
  • Holder of a residence permit for a reason other than "student".
  • Holder of a student residence permit (excluding student VLS-TS)

3. Renewing your residence permit

What steps to take?

The steps to take are the same as for the first applications for a residence permit or the validation of a visa upon arrival in France, as described above.

Applications to renew a residence permit can be made online on the website of the Ministry of the Interior.

When should I apply?

The application to renew the residence permit must be made 2 months before its expirationdate.

How do I get my residence permit?

Students who have followed the online procedure must collect their residence permit in person from the prefectural services:

  • The Prefecture of Marseille: for students studying in the Marseille district
    Bouches-du-Rhône Prefecture - Place Félix Baret - CS 30001 - 13259 Marseille Cedex 06
  • The sub-prefecture of Aix-en-Provence : for people studying in the district of Aix-en-Provence
    Sub-prefecture of Aix-en-Provence - 455, avenue Pierre Brossolette - CS 20758 - 13617 AIX-EN-PROVENCE CEDEX 1
  • The sub-prefecture of Arles: for people studying in the district of Arles
    Sub-prefecture of Arles 16, rue de la Bastille - C.S. 20198 - 13637 ARLES CEDEX
  • The sub-prefecture of Istres : for people studying in the district of Istres
    Sub-prefecture of Istres - Plateau des Bolles - CS 60004 - 13008 Istres Cedex

What should I do if I change my address?

Any change of address must be reported within 8 days to the sub-prefecture or the prefecture.

What to do in case of loss or theft ?

If your papers are lost, you must go to the nearest Prefecture and if they are stolen, to the police station to report the loss or theft.
Then go to the embassy or consulate of your country of origin to obtain a new passport.

Contact information
International students
Consular procedures
Residence permits
International mobility